Improve, Simplify, Automate
your processes with RFID
Solving equipment tracking challenges today to improve your business operations.
What is RFID?
Radio-frequency identification (RFID) is a wireless technology to identify and track tags using electromagnetic fields. Tags are applied to objects to utilize RFID technology to locate, identify, and track objects.
RFID technology requires two pieces of equipment for use:
- An RFID tag
- An RFID reader
An RFID tag contains a tiny radio transponder that is both a receiver and a transmitter. When a RFID reader device is nearby, the tag transmits information to the reader, such as an identifying inventory number. RFID tags are available in myriad forms – from self-adhesive tags in all sizes to sewn-in clothing labels to key cards, and tags may be either attached to or embedded within objects. Tags are either active or passive; active tags are powered by an internal battery and have a greater reading range, while passive tags transmit data only when in range of the RFID reader.
RFID readers may be either mobile/handheld or attached to another piece of equipment. Handheld readers may be used as standalone devices or paired with a mobile device, like an iPhone. They’re simple to use and straightforward to integrate into current inventory processes. Assetas supports all modern RFID scanners and barcode readers.
Common RFID Applications
RFID technology is utilized across industries and has wide-ranging applications.
Check-Out / Check-In Transactions
RFID can expedite check-out/check-in transactions by eliminating the need to manually look up an item.
- Strengthen accountability and improve the accuracy of your check-out/check-in processes, whether handling items individually or in batch.
- Assign responsible parties to items that are checked-out to improve traceability.
- View summary reports and statistics anywhere, from any device.
- Gain visibility into highly used and/or consumed assets to inform future procurement decisions.
Asset & Inventory Management
RFID can provide increased confidence with real-time information, and reduced manhours on inventory with efficient, automated responses to inventory challenges.
- Quickly inventory assets at the point of acquisition and at the time of distribution or disposal, whether individually or in batch.
- Track services performed on assets at the time of service or maintenance and enter other critical details and attributes to save time.
- Trigger alerts and notifications based on attributes or other data entered during the inventory process or via form submittal.
- Track the cost incurred by an asset throughout its lifecycle.
- View real-time reports of your assets via our customizable dashboards.
- Access your current inventory anywhere, from any device.
Locate Missing Items
RFID can support lost item procedures by using homing technology to locate missing items quickly, since RFID readers don’t require a line of sight, as in the case of a barcode reader.
- Automate workflows and notifications to quickly alert users that an item is missing or placed in an incorrect location.
- Leverage reports and dashboards to quickly understand which assets require prioritization and inform purchasing decisions when considering replacement.
- Know which items are missing at any time, from any device.