The asset type may be a unit of hierarchy (e.g., area, region, district), a physical asset (e.g., engine, vehicle, tool), or a virtual asset (e.g., domain name).
Add a new asset type
- Expand the “Configuration” menu on the sidebar navigation.
- Expand the “Lists” menu under “Configuration”.
- Expand the “Type” menu under “Lists”.
- Select the “Asset” menu.
- Select “Add” to add an asset type.
- Populate the fields. Data fields with an asterisk (*) are required.
- Name*: Enter the name of the type of asset.
- Abbreviation*: Enter a shortened version of the name to use in the generation of unique asset names (when specific asset names aren’t provided).
- Icon: Select an icon that represents the asset type. If nothing is selected, the icon will default to a cube shape.
- Allow Serial Numbers: Toggle if this asset type allows the collection of serial numbers.
- Allow Tracking Codes: Toggle if this asset type allows the collection of tracking codes.
- Allow Services Dates: Toggle if this asset type allows the collection of in-service and retired dates.
- Allow Asset Associations: Toggle if this asset type allows associations to other assets.
- Allow Telemetry Tags: Toggle if this asset type allows the use of telemetry tags.
- Allow Addresses: Toggle if this asset type allows the storage of addresses.
- Allow Locations: Toggle if this asset type allows the storage of locations and coordinates.
- Allow Contact Associations: Toggle if this asset type allows associations to contacts.
- Allow Document Associations: Toggle if this asset type allows associations to documents.
- Description: Enter a description of the asset type.
- External Identifier: Enter a unique identifier that represents this record in an external system.
- Select “Save” upon completion.
Sections and attributes
See Sections and Attributes for instructions on how to create and manage sections and their attributes.
Manage asset types
- Locate the asset type record.
- If the In Use column displays “Yes”, click the “Yes” text to view a report of all assets categorized as this type.
- To the right of each record, under the Actions menu, you may:
- Edit the asset type.
- Download the asset type definition for import into another database.
- Copy the asset type to immediately create a duplicated record in the database. When used, update the new name of the copied record to a unique value.
- Delete the asset type. You may delete types only when they are not in use at any record.